demolishverb [ T ]uk /dɪˈmɒl.ɪʃ/ us /dɪˈmɑː.lɪʃ/
demolish verb [ T ] (DESTROY)
- The building had to be demolished because of subsidence.
- One by one the old buildings in the city have been demolished and replaced with modern tower blocks.
- The explosion virtually demolished several nearby houses.
- You've demolished my lovely arrangement - now I'll have to do it all over again!
- Our greenhouse was demolished in last night's storm.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
- be sacrificed on the altar of sth idiom
- blast/blow sb/sth to kingdom come idiom
- kill sth off
- kill the goose that lays the golden egg idiom
- knock sth down
- knock sth out
- stave sth in
- take sb/sth out
- tear 1
- tear sth apart
- tear sth down
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: