department storenoun [ C ]uk /dɪˈpɑːt.mənt ˌstɔːr/ us /dɪˈpɑːrt.mənt ˌstɔːr/
- Animal rights extremists have threatened to firebomb any department stores that continue to stock fur coats.
- He's got a job demonstrating kitchen equipment in a department store.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- By the 1920s in Japan robots were starting to appear in department stores.
- Are our large department stores an injury to the country?
- Hardware section of a department store.
- Presents were distributed to the children and the mothers received an order for goods in one of the department stores.
- The thousands of women employed in the New York department stores are of many kinds.
- They went together to a department store and purchased a charming little bag with a lot of traveling accessories in plain compact form, light enough for an invalid to carry.