depth chargenoun [ C ]uk /ˈdepθ ˌtʃɑːdʒ/ us /ˈdepθ ˌtʃɑːrdʒ/
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- A barrage of depth charges was dropped, exploding at regular intervals far below the surface of the water.
- A destroyer sighted a submarine, rushed ahead at great speed and dropped a couple of depth charges.
- But one of the lookouts sighted her and depth charges were fired.
- I think they set off a depth charge against a submarine.
- The depth charge crew jumped to their stations and immediately started dropping depth bombs.