designingadjective [ before noun ]uk /dɪˈzaɪ.nɪŋ/ us /dɪˈzaɪ.nɪŋ/ formal
Examples from literature
- He thinks it highly probable that some of these deluded women were actually the dupes of unprincipled and designing men, who arrayed themselves in various disguises and then met their unfortunate victims by appointment.
- It doesn't matter that she was,—and still may be designing,—the fact remains that she is the woman you love and that you are her man.
- Mutual suspicions and reproaches may in time create mutual hostility, and artful and designing men will always be found who are ready to foment these fatal divisions and to inflame the natural jealousies of different sections of the country.
- Then that poor child would be safe from these designing, horrid people.
- You haven't understood yet what a cruelly designing and artful and vindictive and long-waiting enemy he can be.