desperatelyadverbuk /ˈdes.pər.ət.li/ us /-pɚ-/
desperately adverb (SERIOUSLY)
desperately adverb (TAKING RISKS)
- Doctors tried desperately to reduce the swelling in her brain.
- Blake looked ridiculous, and I tried desperately to keep a straight face.
- The rescuers could hear the sound of the trapped people desperately trying to claw their way through the rubble.
- The flood has left villagers and animals desperately scavenging for food.
- He wanted that job desperately, and was devastated when he failed to get it.