determineverbuk /dɪˈtɜː.mɪn/ us /-ˈtɝː-/
determine verb (DECIDE)
- Genes determine how we develop from the moment the sperm fuses with the egg.
- The economy is regarded as the decisive/key factor which will determine the outcome of the general election.
- The success of the event will be determined by the vagaries of the weather.
- People want to determine their own destinies.
- The amount of money the bank is willing to lend is determined by the value of the property.
- be make or break for sb/sth idiom
- be on the horns of a dilemma idiom
- come down on one side of the fence or the other idiom
- come to sth
- hammer sth out
- it's a date idiom
- make or break sth idiom
- make up your mind idiom
- name the day idiom
- spin a coin idiom
determine verb (DISCOVER)
- a fishing expedition idiom
- break fresh/new ground idiom
- catch sb red-handed idiom
- happen on/upon sth/sb
- have a (good) nose for sth idiom
- have got something there idiom
- run sb/sth to ground idiom
- search sth/sb out
- sniff sth out
- sniff sth/sb out