dictateverbuk /dɪkˈteɪt/ us /ˈdɪk.teɪt/
dictate verb (GIVE ORDERS)
- Many people feel they must do whatever their doctor dictates, and never question the advice they are given.
- After dictating what is to be done, she then leaves her husband to do all the work!
- When I went to the hairdresser, my mum just dictated how it was to be cut.
- He shouldn't be allowed to dictate all the terms and conditions - it's supposed to be a democratic decision.
- balance of power
- have sb by the balls idiom
- have sb eating out of your hand idiom
- have sb in the palm of your hand idiom
- have sth in hand idiom
- pull rank idiom
- pull the strings idiom
dictate verb (SPEAK)