diocesenoun [ C ]uk /ˈdaɪ.ə.sɪs/ us /ˈdaɪ.ə.sɪs/ plural dioceses
adjective uk /daɪˈɒs.ɪ.zən/ us /daɪˈɑː.sə.zən/
Examples from literature
- He was ordained by the bishop of the diocese as soon after as possible.
- I will resign the diocese.
- It was only very gradually that these dioceses acquired legislative independence and a determinate organization.
- Nine-tenths of the clergy in the diocese would be guided by him in any matter of clerical conduct which might come before him.
- There were religious disputes in the diocese too, and they shook me.