diphtherianoun [ U ]uk /dɪfˈθɪə.ri.ə/ /dɪpˈθɪə.ri.ə/ us /dɪfˈθɪr.i.ə/ /dɪpˈθɪr.i.ə/
Examples from literature
- By what means are malaria, typhoid fever, diphtheria, and tuberculosis spread from one individual to another?
- Eight persons suffering from diphtheria were at the Miami Valley Hospital.
- My father and mother died in a scourge of diphtheria that swept the neighborhood when I was a boy of five.
- Poor little boy, with all his joy of life and enthusiasms, struck down by diphtheria!
- Thus the bacteria of Asiatic cholera and diphtheria may destroy life in a few hours, while those of consumption may take years to produce a fatal result.