discoverynoun [C or U]uk /dɪˈskʌv.ər.i/ us /dɪˈskʌv.ɚ.i/
- Scientists are on the brink of a major new discovery.
- The discovery of oil brought many benefits to the town.
- Various ecological issues have come to the fore since the discovery of the hole in the ozone layer.
- The two scientists both made the same discovery independently, at roughly the same time.
- Word of the discovery caused a stir among astronomers.
- a fishing expedition idiom
- break fresh/new ground idiom
- catch sb red-handed idiom
- happen on/upon sth/sb
- have a (good) nose for sth idiom
- have got something there idiom
- run sb/sth to ground idiom
- search sth/sb out
- sniff sth out
- sniff sth/sb out