disputenoun [ C or U ]uk /dɪˈspjuːt/ /ˈdɪs.pjuːt/ us /dɪˈspjuːt/ /ˈdɪs.pjuːt/
a border dispute
open to dispute
- All attempts at conciliation failed and the dispute continued.
- An outside adviser has been brought in to arbitrate the dispute between the management and the union.
- Management have demonstrated almost unbelievable incompetence in their handling of the dispute.
- I'd like to help but I don't have the power to intervene in this dispute.
- The chances of settling this dispute through talks seem increasingly slender.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics:
disputeverb [ I or T ]uk /dɪˈspjuːt/ us /dɪˈspjuːt/
C2 to disagree with something that someone says:
noun [ C or U ] uk /ˌdɪs.pjuˈteɪ.ʃən/ us /ˌdɪs.pjuːˈteɪ.ʃən/ formal
› a disagreement
adjective uk /ˌdɪs.pjuˈteɪ.ʃəs/ us /ˌdɪs.pjuːˈteɪ.ʃəs/ old use