distinctionnounuk us /dɪˈstɪŋk.ʃən/
distinction noun (DIFFERENCE)
- It's sometimes very difficult to draw a clear distinction between the meanings of different words.
- There is a sharp distinction between crimes which involve injury to people and those that don't.
- I wasn't convinced by the minister's nice distinction between a lie and an untruth.
- This film blurs the distinction between reality and fantasy.
- The distinction between Ms McArthur and her countless imitators is the elegance of her writing.
distinction noun (HIGH QUALITY)
distinction noun (SPECIAL)