dodonoun [ C ]uk /ˈdəʊ.dəʊ/ us /ˈdoʊ.doʊ/ plural dodos
Examples from literature
- It is as fabulous as the dodo, the salamander, or the phoenix.
- Its carnivorous enemies among the lower animals, would have cut short the existence of the dodo, even if man had never planted his conquering footsteps upon that island.
- The dodo of Mauritius was exterminated by swine, whose bipedal descendants have exterminated many other species since that time.
- There can be no doubt that the dodo was one of those instances, well known to naturalists, of a species, or part of a species, remaining permanently in an undeveloped state.
- With our own experience—and that is somewhat extensive—of sailors in general, and Dutch ones in particular, we must infer that these dodos were very, very fat, indeed.