double bassnoun [ C ]uk /ˌdʌb.əl ˈbeɪs/ us /ˌdʌb.əl ˈbeɪs/ informal bass
Examples from literature
- Every one looked at the double bass, but all his strings were for the moment intact.
- Music for the entrance of a brigand in the dark, should be slow and mysterious, with an effective double bass in it.
- The string of the double bass broke loudly, and the new string which its devotee laboriously inserted also broke at once.
- The unusual length and thickness of the strings of the double bass make it produce very low notes, so that it is ordinarily looked upon as the "bass voice" of the orchestra.
- Thrum-thrum-thrum went the double bass next door.