dowrynoun [ C ]uk /ˈdaʊ.ri/ us /ˈdaʊ.ri/
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
- always a bridesmaid, never the bride idiom
- arranged marriage
- bachelor party
- bachelorette party
- give sb away
- go/walk down the aisle idiom
- golden anniversary
- golden wedding anniversary
- guard of honour
- hen night
- register office
- registry office
- ruby anniversary
- shotgun wedding
- shower tea
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics:
Examples from literature
- Because she had no dowry to be paid.
- He, impoverished as he is, looks for a splendid dowry.
- In order to provide a dowry for her, her father invested all his savings in shares of the Universal Bank, losing everything after its failure.
- Marriage was considered inexpedient unless large dowries were brought to the husband.
- The dowry is given to the husband, for him to enjoy as long as the marriage shall last.