dragonflynoun [ C ]uk /ˈdræɡ.ən.flaɪ/ us /ˈdræɡ.ən.flaɪ/
Examples from literature
- Great glittering dragonflies drifted along the river bank, or hung quivering above pools.
- Now a butterfly fluttered past me, and now a dragonfly.
- Numbers of caterpillars mounted the stalks of grass, and many dragonflies and butterflies appeared, though this was winter.
- Such must be the state of being of a dragonfly on a sunny day.
- Through a little opening among the trees, as through a window, I could see the cattle feeding in the wide meadows, all headed alike, and yellow butterflies drifted across the open spaces, and there were bumblebees and dragonflies.