dressmakernoun [ C ]uk /ˈdresˌmeɪ.kər/ us /ˈdresˌmeɪ.kɚ/
noun [ U ] uk /ˈdresˌmeɪ.kɪŋ/ us /ˈdresˌmeɪ.kɪŋ/
Examples from literature
- Eve has always struck me as being the kind of woman who, if she lived to-day, would run up stupid bills at her dressmakers and be afraid to tell her husband.
- For months I would be paying so much a week to my dressmaker for the gowns of a play.
- She really has imagination like a French dressmaker.
- The dressmaker's not coming, spoke she, sharply.
- You'll soon be so rich that the dressmakers won't dare to send you a bill.