drugnoun [ C ]uk /drʌɡ/ us /drʌɡ/
drug noun [ C ] (MEDICINE)
a prescription drug
- The new drug could be an important step in the fight against cancer.
- There are doubts about the effectiveness of the new drug in treating the disease.
- For patients who do not respond to drug treatment, surgery is a possible option.
- The doctors gave him more powerful drugs in the vain hope that he might recover.
- I can give you stronger pain-killing drugs if these aren't strong enough.
drug noun [ C ] (ILLEGAL SUBSTANCE)
a drug addict
- The government are to step up their attempt to wage war on drugs.
- "I'm arresting you on suspicion of illegally possessing drugs, " said the police officer.
- The athlete was given a stiff punishment for using drugs.
- Police found a small quantity of drugs in his possession.
- Desperate measures are needed to deal with the growing drug problem.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words