during preposition (THROUGH)
- The (traffic) congestion in the city gets even worse during the summer.
- The work that the students do during the year will count towards their final degrees.
- The city centre's quite lively during the day, but it's totally dead at night.
- You're not allowed to talk during the exam.
- Jean was my roommate during our first year at university.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
during preposition (AT SOME TIME IN)
DuringWe use during before nouns and noun phrases to refer to when something happens over a period of time. During can refer to the whole time of the event: …