Dutch couragenoun [ U ]uk /ˌdʌtʃ ˈkʌr.ɪdʒ/ us /ˌdʌtʃ ˈkɝː.ɪdʒ/ UK US liquid courage
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- Do I look, she asked, "as if I needed Dutch courage?"
- I was inclined to the latter opinion, and therefore tasted the liquor for the purpose of seeing if I could not get a little Dutch courage.
- I'll never get our names down right unless I have a drink to give me a bit of Dutch courage.
- In the eighties he would have been shot in the back by some scoundrel who had primed himself with Dutch courage from adulterated whisky.
- Why do you think I can't work without Dutch courage?