earthnounuk /ɜːθ/ us /ɝːθ/
earth noun (PLANET)
- It was Ptolemy who propounded the theory that the earth was at the centre of the universe.
- The satellite slowly rotates as it circles the earth.
- As every schoolboy knows, the earth revolves around the sun.
- Meteorites often burn up in the atmosphere before they reach the Earth.
- Theories abound about how the earth began.
earth noun (GROUND)
- Their hoofs threw up clods of earth as they galloped across the field.
- There was a large mound of earth in the middle of the field.
- A large worm wriggled in the freshly dug earth.
- In the spring you almost feel you can smell the earth.
- I like to get my hands in the earth when I'm gardening.
earth noun (WIRE)
earth noun (HOLE)