earthworknoun [ C usually plural ]uk /ˈɜːθ.wɜːk/ us /ˈɝːθ.wɝrk/
Examples from literature
- Not far from where the boys landed they discovered the time-worn earthworks of what had once been the old fort.
- The city of Boston was girdled by rapidly increasing earthworks.
- The gun-boats threw heavy shells into the fort and behind the earthworks all night, keeping the enemy awake and anxious.
- The spot chosen was levelled, a strong earthwork was erected round it, and then the surrounding ground was removed.
- We were sitting, the three of us, in a slanting fashion with our backs to the earthworks of the trench.