earthwormnoun [ C ]uk /ˈɜːθ.wɜːm/ us /ˈɝːθ.wɝːm/
Examples from literature
- These included the use of earthworms to create soil nutrients, plant-oil pesticides, and predator insects to kill pests.
- Earthworms were not plentiful on the island.
- He carefully picked his way on tiptoe among the earthworms, without killing a single one.
- Mr. Darwin believes that traces of it can be found in earthworms and other annelids.
- One day my sister threw a handful of earthworms on to my dress.
- The constant stirring up of the soil by earthworms is an aid in keeping the soil open to air and water.