emigrantnoun [ C ]uk /ˈem.ɪ.ɡrənt/ us /ˈem.ə.ɡrənt/
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- And in modern times, Venice, Genoa, Portugal, Spain, France, and England, all sent forth emigrants to people foreign shores.
- Do the emigrants always select places hitherto uninhabited and barren?
- In the hotel where I passed the night, most of the servants seemed to be emigrants from Canada.
- The early history of some of the emigrants is almost the reality of romance.
- These emigrants were quiet folk and had children with them.