emperornoun [ C ]uk /ˈem.pər.ər/ us /ˈem.pɚ.ɚ/
- He'd dressed himself up as a Roman emperor for the fancy-dress party.
- This type of porcelain was made specifically for the Chinese emperor and the imperial household.
- Hirohito was Emperor of Japan from 1926 until his death in 1989.
- The Pope granted Charlemagne the title of Holy Roman Emperor back in the 9th century.
- Constantine was the first emperor to promote Christianity.
Examples from literature
- Emperor Qin was worried about the kingdoms to the north of China, especially Mongolia.
- Emperor Shah Jahan loved his wife very much.
- He became emperor in 27 BCE.
- In 1922, the government changed and there were no more emperors.
- It is difficult to be sure about things that happened so long ago, but there are many stories of crazy things that emperors did.
- Later, between 1368 and 1644, the Ming emperors made the wall longer.
- Now the soldiers themselves live the life of emperors.
- People in every part of the Roman Empire knew what the emperor looked like.
- Qin was emperor for only 12 years.
- Some say the doctors made a mistake, but some believe they wanted to kill the emperor.
- The Romans put a picture of the emperor on their coins.
- The emperor wanted to live for many thousands of years.
- The emperor was so sad that he wanted to build a beautiful temple for her.
- The first Roman emperor was a man called Octavius Augustus.
- The leader was called an emperor or an empress.
- There were about 130 emperors in the history of the empire.