emphasisnoun [ C or U ]uk /ˈem.fə.sɪs/ us /ˈem.fə.sɪs/ plural emphases
Where do you put the emphasis in the word "controversy"?
- Too much emphasis is placed on the desirability of being thin.
- The school puts a lot of emphasis on teaching children to read and write.
- You can never place enough emphasis upon the importance of safety.
- Words are sometimes italicized for emphasis.
- She placed the emphasis on the word 'soon'.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: