emphasizeverb [ T ]UK usually emphasise uk /ˈem.fə.saɪz/ us /ˈem.fə.saɪz/
[ + question word ] I'd just like to emphasize how important it is for people to learn foreign languages.
› to make something more obvious:
- I must emphasize that this exercise should not be done by pregnant women.
- She emphasized the importance of fresh fruit and vegetables in the diet.
- Officials emphasized that no decision had been reached.
- He emphasized how important diet was to health.
- Bettelheim emphasized the importance in child development of play and fantasy.