envelopenoun [ C ]uk /ˈen.və.ləʊp/ us /ˈɑːn.və.loʊp/
Examples from literature
- Instead of throwing the old letter away, they used the name and address on the envelope to find Arlene and deliver it to her.
- Natural latex is also important as an adhesive in the production of envelopes, labels, sticky tape, and bandages.
- People often give money in a red envelope as a present at weddings or the New Year.
- But you may seal the envelopes for me, and put on the postage stamps.
- He tore open the envelope with his huge forefinger, and, bending down towards the lantern, began to read the letter.
- Her usual composure was gone—for a moment only—and she fingered the envelope nervously in her slim, expressive hands.
- She opened the second envelope, her jeweller's account.
- The letter was in a long envelope.