envelopenoun [ C ]uk /ˈen.və.ləʊp/ us /ˈɑːn.və.loʊp/
- I folded the letter in half and put it in an envelope.
- Send a self-addressed envelope for our free catalogue.
- An envelope was waiting for me when I got home.
- Do you recognize the writing on the envelope?
- The teacher opened the sealed envelope containing the exam papers.
Examples from literature
- Instead of throwing the old letter away, they used the name and address on the envelope to find Arlene and deliver it to her.
- Natural latex is also important as an adhesive in the production of envelopes, labels, sticky tape, and bandages.
- People often give money in a red envelope as a present at weddings or the New Year.