environment noun (NATURE)
the environment [ S ]
- The radiation leak has had a disastrous effect on the environment.
- We must ensure that tourism develops in harmony with the environment.
- We won't invest in any company that pollutes the environment.
- A dangerous amount of radioactivity was released into the environment last month.
- It would be better for the environment if more people used bikes rather than cars.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
environment noun (SURROUNDINGS)
- A loving family environment gives children that sense of stability and permanence which they need.
- Industry is still a mainly male environment.
- Studies show that if a working environment is pleasant, productivity increases.
- Given the right environment, children are like sponges and will soak up information.
- Adaptability is a necessary quality in an ever-changing work environment.