especialadjective [ before noun ]uk /ɪˈspeʃ.əl/ us /ɪˈspeʃ.əl/ formal
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- All animals which he took under his especial patronage seemed to have a marked affection for him.
- And, seating herself, she turned immediately to the editorial page, in which the State Department of Charities felt an especial interest this morning.
- Especial emphasis should be placed on the use and importance of fresh, green vegetables.
- So she found that all her friends might freely visit her, and that her father would be received with especial gladness.
- They were under no especial obligation to them.
- When there is no one who needs any especial attention, the hostess nevertheless sits for a time with each of the different groups in order to spend at least a part of the evening with all of her guests.