examplenoun [C]uk /ɪɡˈzɑːm.pəl/ us /ɪɡˈzæm.pəl/
example noun [C] (TYPICAL CASE)
- This church is a perfect example of medieval architecture.
- 'She', 'it', and 'who' are all examples of pronouns.
- An early example of privatization was the enclosure of public land for private use by wealthy landlords.
- He's a classic example of a kid who's clever but lazy.
- Sweden is often held up as an example of a successful social democracy.
example noun [C] (BEHAVIOUR)
- Mother Teresa's goodness is an example to us all.
- She was an inspiring example to her followers.
- Senior pupils are expected to set an example to the younger children.
- Mary always gets on with her homework after tea - why don't you follow her example?
- What kind of an example are the players setting to their fans, with this kind of violent and offensive behaviour?
example noun [C] (PUNISHMENT)