excommunicateverb [ T ]uk /ˌek.skəˈmjuː.nɪ.keɪt/ us /ˌek.skəˈmjuː.nə.keɪt/
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics:
noun [ C or U ] uk /ˌek.skəˌmjuː.nɪˈkeɪ.ʃən/ us /ˌek.skəˌmjuː.nəˈkeɪ.ʃən/
Examples from literature
- A man whom the Church had excommunicated was buried in the cemetery of a German convent.
- I expect one would be immediately excommunicated as a heretic.
- She was afraid of being found out and excommunicated.
- The pope excommunicated the king.
- They duly excommunicated each other, and the Latin Church was rent in twain.