excuseverb [T]uk us /ɪkˈskjuːz/
- Will you excuse me? I've got to make a phone call.
- Please excuse my stomach rumbling - I haven't eaten all day.
- I know you are tired, but I really can't excuse you for being so rude and selfish about this.
- She is almost too kind - always excusing their bad behaviour instead of dealing with it firmly.
- Her boss cannot excuse even the smallest error, although he himself is far from perfect.
excusenoun [C]uk us /ɪkˈskjuːs/
- When I asked him why he was late, he gave me some excuse about having car trouble.
- I made up an excuse about having to look after the kids.
- I don't want to go tonight but I can't think up a good excuse.
- Whenever I ask him why his essay's late, he just comes out with the same old excuses.
- You're always making excuses for not helping me.