executionnounuk /ˌek.sɪˈkjuː.ʃən/ us /ˌek.səˈkjuː.ʃən/
execution noun (KILLING)
- Many people believe that execution has no place in the penal system of a civilized society.
- Henry VIII ordered the execution of two of his wives, Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard.
- The convicted double murderer is facing execution in the morning.
- The soldiers were arrested in connection with the alleged illegal execution of prisoners during the war.
- Hanging was the usual form of execution practised in Britain.
execution noun (ACTION)