- Her popularity has declined since her triumphal return from exile two years ago.
- The opposition leader returned to a hero's welcome after seven years in exile.
- After the military coup, the family left for self-imposed exile in America.
- During the war, they had to leave their homes and go into exile.
- Anyone who disagreed with the powerful ruling family, the Medici, would be forced to go into exile.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
exileverb [ T ]uk /ˈek.saɪl/ /ˈeɡ.zaɪl/ us /ˈek.saɪl/ /ˈeɡ.zaɪl/
adjective uk /ˈek.saɪld/ /ˈeɡ.zaɪld/ us /ˈek.saɪld/ /ˈeɡ.zaɪld/
the exiled king