expansionnoun [ C or U ]uk /ɪkˈspæn.ʃən/ us /ɪkˈspæn.ʃən/
an expansion of industry
- We need a dynamic expansion of trade with other countries.
- The president said NATO expansion will finally erase the boundary line in Europe artificially created by the Cold War.
- Lack of space is the main restraint on the firm's plans for expansion.
- Any further industrial expansion in the area will face fierce opposition from environmentalists.
- Given the necessary investment, this region is perfect for economic expansion.