experimentnoun [C or U]uk us /ɪkˈsper.ɪ.mənt/
- Don't forget to try out the equipment before setting up the experiment.
- In the second experiment they obtained a very clear result.
- For the experiment to be valid, it is essential to record the data accurately.
- The experiments were conducted by scientists in New York.
- Our experiment worked better than we could have expected, and soon the baby was happy to sleep in her own bed.
experimentverb [I]uk us /ɪkˈsper.ɪ.ment/
- The young film-makers were given free rein to experiment with new themes and techniques.
- I like to experiment with different light filters on my camera.
- For a while the poet experimented with the idea of chanting his poems to music.
- The artist experimented with different pigments and mediums, often with disastrous results.
- I'd be very nervous about letting a trainee hairdresser experiment with my hair.