explanationnoun [ C or U ]uk /ˌek.spləˈneɪ.ʃən/ us /ˌek.spləˈneɪ.ʃən/
What was her explanation for why she was late?
[ + that ] The judge didn't believe his explanation that he had stolen the money in order to give it to charity.
- It's really annoying when a train is late and there's no explanation.
- I wasn't wholly convinced by her explanation.
- Did he offer any explanation for his strange behaviour?
- I've been waiting here for almost an hour - I think you owe me an explanation.
- The entry for each idiom includes a useful, clear explanation about how it is used.