factornoun [ C ]uk /ˈfæk.tər/ us /ˈfæk.tɚ/
factor noun [ C ] (FACT)
- Diet and exercise can influence a person's weight, but heredity is also a factor.
- Smoking is a causative factor in the development of several serious diseases, including lung cancer.
- Too little exercise is a contributory factor in heart disease.
- The environmental argument was a deciding factor.
- We need to take a lot of factors into account in our decision-making.
factor noun [ C ] (NUMBER)
Two, three, four and six are all factors of twelve.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words