failure noun (NO SUCCESS)
- Another crop failure could result in widespread famine.
- The computer failure was due to a glitch caused by lightning.
- The failure of the monsoon would destroy harvests on which 1000 million people rely.
- The words 'Hard disk failure - program aborted' popped up on the screen.
- The probable cause of death was heart failure.
failure noun (NOT DO)
- There are serious penalties for failure to comply with the regulations.
- The team blamed injuries and lack of preparation for their failure to win.
- He was disappointed by his failure to secure the top job with the bank.
- I regarded her failure to acknowledge my greeting as a slight.
- The Opposition is making a lot of political capital out of the government's failure to invest in education.