fallout shelternoun [ C ]uk /ˈfɔːl.aʊt ˌʃel.tər/ us /ˈfɑːl.aʊt ˌʃel.t̬ɚ/
Examples from literature
- A below-ground storm cellar can be used as an improvised fallout shelter, but additional shielding material may be needed to provide adequate protection from fallout radiation.
- But you might have to use fallout shelter for up to two weeks.
- Most communities now have public fallout shelters that would protect many of their residents against fallout radiation.
- Public fallout shelters usually offer some advantages over home shelters.
- —If you are at home, go to your underground storm cellar or your basement fallout shelter, if you have one.