farmingnoun [ U ]uk /ˈfɑː.mɪŋ/ us /ˈfɑːr.mɪŋ/
- In the last 50 years, there has been a 33-fold increase in the amount of pesticide used in farming.
- Excessive farming had impoverished the soil.
- Cattle farming is the mainstay of the country's economy.
- Huge swathes of rain forest are being cleared for farming and mining.
- In some areas, modern intensive farming is giving way to the re-introduction of traditional methods.
- At the same time, in other parts of the world modern methods were replacing traditional farming.
- In Western Europe, new ways of farming were invented, and many factories were built.
- It’s easy to forget that without industrial farming methods, we simply wouldn’t have so much cheap food.
- The government provided teachers and courses to help people learn organic farming techniques.
- The pioneers of organic farming of the early and mid-twentieth century saw the movement as a return to small family-sized, local farms and a rejection of the big business model of large farms.
- Their method of farming was not sustainable.
- These green activists began to call for a return to more traditional styles of farming.
- Until the 19th century, nobody would have considered farming as anything other than organic.