fashion noun (POPULAR STYLE)
Long hair is back in fashion for men.
Fur coats have gone out of fashion.
like it's going out of fashion informal
- We did a fashion shoot on the beach, with the girls modelling swimwear.
- Whatever the latest fashion trend, you can be sure Nicki will be wearing it.
- There's a double-page spread on the latest fashions.
- Our fashion editor gives you the lowdown on winter coats for this season.
- They made their money in the fashion business.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
fashion noun (MANNER)
after a fashion
› mainly UK If you can do something after a fashion, you can do it, but not well:
I can cook, after a fashion.
- During the bomb scare, the customers were asked to proceed in an orderly fashion out of the shop.
- He gets on with things in his own peculiar fashion.
- Charles picked at his food in a bored fashion.
- The developers dealt with the problem in the time-honoured fashion, burying the industrial waste in landfill sites.
- Paul, in typically rude fashion, told him he was talking rubbish.