fatherlandnoun [ C usually singular ]uk /ˈfɑː.ðə.lænd/ us /ˈfɑː.ðɚ.lænd/ also motherland
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- Does he mean to have a family reunion and drink to the German fatherland?
- In the ranks of our army you would also be able to serve your fatherland.
- It is for the fatherland, Amelia.
- Then they too have died for their fatherland, and will sleep in the temple of fame.
- Two years had been spent here since he had left his fatherland, amid the wild scenes of the Julian Alps.