fernnoun [ C ]uk /fɜːn/ us /fɝːn/
Examples from literature
- All around grew a mass of feathery ferns such as hide and nestle in cool places, and up to Robin's nostrils came the tender odor of the wild thyme, that loves the moist verges of running streams.
- Ferns and roses are very susceptible to injury, and fumigation if attempted at all should be performed with great caution.
- I first collected ferns under a crag in a deep glen.
- Some had fern leaves plainly visible upon their surfaces and others showed leaves of trees and shrubs.
- We crept along the side of a torrent among exquisite trees, moss, and ferns, till we came to a place where it divided.