ferrynoun [ C ]uk /ˈfer.i/ us /ˈfer.i/ also ferry boat
a car ferry
We're going to the Channel Islands by/on the ferry.
We took the ferry to Calais.
- Almost all the passengers on the ferry were French.
- We took the ferry across the Channel and then joined the Paris train at Calais.
- The ferry service has been suspended for the day because of bad weather.
- The strike has led to the cancellation of some ferry services and left hundreds of passengers stranded at the docks.
- Our ferry was two hours late because of the strike.
ferryverb [ T usually + adv/prep ]uk /ˈfer.i/ us /ˈfer.i/
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: