field goalnoun [ C ]/ˈfiːld ˌɡəʊl/ /ˈfiːld ˌɡoʊl/
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- But he was proud even to do that, and made a field goal that merited him considerable applause.
- In a field goal the player executing it must not kick the ball until after it has touched the ground.
- It was not unusual for the ball to be passed from player to player after a scrimmage until a touchdown or a field goal was made.
- The principal scores in football are the "touchdown" and the "field goal."
- This of course does not apply to a field goal, which may be attempted at any time while the ball is in possession of the team and which counts three.