fighternoun [ C ]uk /ˈfaɪ.tər/ us /ˈfaɪ.t̬ɚ/
fighter noun [ C ] (PERSON)
- He had a reputation as a fearless fighter.
- The fighter had a strong, sinewy body.
- Government forces were pinned down by resistance fighters 30 miles north of the capital.
- Both fighters were exhausted by the final round.
- The fighters had to be separated by the referee.
fighter noun [ C ] (AIRCRAFT)
a fighter pilot
- The circuitry in this fighter aircraft has been protected against strong magnetic fields.
- A fighter plane flew over.
- The film stars Mark Burgess-Ashton as the gung-ho young fighter pilot.
- The supersonic fighter plane was shot down by a missile.
- The fighters are equipped with the latest radar technology.