film noun (MOVING PICTURES)
the film industry
- The music was specially composed for the film.
- I didn't find the ending of the film very convincing.
- Is the film available on DVD?
- The end of the film was much more exciting than I'd expected.
- I like films with a lot of action.
film noun (MATERIAL)
a roll of film
I'm getting my film developed at the chemist's.
- The film had been over-exposed.
- She develops her own film.
- Digital cameras do not need film.
- We shot 7 rolls of film on our holiday.
- The editor had carefully cut and spliced the sections of film together.
film noun (LAYER)
filmverb [ I or T ]uk /fɪlm/ us /fɪlm/
They filmed for a week in Spain.
- The crew has gone to Africa to film a wildlife documentary.
- They were filmed against a background of dark fir trees.
- The old newsreels were filmed in black and white.
- He's just completed filming his 17th feature film.
- A special lens was needed in order to film this sequence.