finish verb (COMPLETE/END)
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
- all good things (must) come to an end idiom
- and have done with it idiom
- be over the hump idiom
- knock off (sth)
- lay sth to rest idiom
- lay the ghost of sth (to rest) idiom
- leave it at that idiom
- leave off (sth/doing sth)
- the curtain falls on sth idiom
- to the bitter end idiom
- top sth off
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics:
finish verb (WOOD)
finishnoun [ C ]uk /ˈfɪn.ɪʃ/ us /ˈfɪn.ɪʃ/
finish noun [ C ] (COMPLETE/END)
a close finish
- The runner collapsed just a few paces from the finish.
- I'm a realist - I knew there was no way I could win, so I swam for a good finish, for points.
- John left early, but we stayed until the finish.
- It was one of the most exciting finishes I've ever seen.
- There was a very close finish in the men's 100 metres.